This project is now full
As a Reading Buddy, you will be working with children aged 4 – 12 to help them progress their reading ability and engage them in literacy.
It has been an amazing experience and has really helped me develop as a person
Elliot, Reading Buddy
Working with pupils individually and in small groups, you will meet them regularly and encourage a diverse and exciting approach to reading. This results in an extremely positive and rewarding experience, forming a strong bond with the children you help. Not many volunteering oportuinties allow you to see the impact you are having so obviously.
Please refer to the School volunteer Specification before registering for this role as the criteria listed will be assesed at interview.
- To provide assistance and encouragement to children or groups of children
- Any help the teacher may require with teaching the class
- To help the teacher by doing admin tasks and cleaning up after activities such as art etc
- Attend all induction and training events
- Attend placement one morning or afternoon a week during Lent term
- Attend end of year plenary session
- Motivate children to learn
- Raise aspirations for pupils who may or may not be considering going into further eduction
- Inspire struggling pupils to engage in reading and literacy
|Opportunities for Skills Development
- Highly developed communication skills with optimum use of appropriate language and presentation aids, consideration of audience
- Confident delivery with response to student feedback
- Strong ability to identify and adapt key learning skills of self and others
- Creative thinker with original and stimulating work and flexibility in approach
- Excellent problem solver adept at responding effectively